Astronomy is really a difficult hobby to get into. and it is even harder and downright frustrating if you start with the wrong telescope. Most of the inexpensive entry-level models are actually more difficult to set up, install and use, and may have poor optics, cheaper components, and smaller apertures. These things make you struggle hard to see anything other than the moon with many of them.
Purpose to Use a Telescope
Telescope, a device used to form magnified images of distant objects. The telescope is definitely the most important investigative tool in astronomy. It provides a means of collecting and analyzing radiation from celestial objects, even those in the far reaches of the universe.
How to choose your first telescope being a beginner?
If you are really ready that you want to move to a telescope, you have got a few decisions to make. There are distinct types based on Sky and Telescopes, which are mainly divided into three broad categories. They are Refractors, Reflectors, and Compound Telescopes. (Also called Catadioptric).
The Reflector uses a mirror as a primary component for its design, which is the major key difference between the Refractor and Reflector, while Refractor uses only a lens at the end of a long tube, which means Refractors are much smaller in length but also they allow for wider apertures, and they require more setup and maintenance to keep everything in alignment. Compound telescopes are simply a combination of the two which employ both mirrors and lenses that allow for even smaller and more portable telescopes (albeit at a higher cost).
When you are considering a telescope to buy, then you need to pay more attention to its aperture(or diameter f the lens), but that number will do you little good without a big enough aperture to actually collect the light needed to bring an image into focus. In telescopes, the level of magnification is more impressive than in binoculars.
One more important consideration is just how much work you want to do yourself. Fully manual telescopes are less expensive but they prove to be more frustrating for someone who is just starting out. Computerized telescopes also called “Go-To” telescopes are easily finding objects in the night sky with minimal setup, and will continue to serve you well as you grow into the hobby.
Things we considered to select these telescopes
The survey on a range of trusted sources and expert reviews, including Sky at Night Magazine, Love the Night Sky, and Wirecutter made us pick these telescopes. To calculate our Consumer Score which represents the number of customers who rated the telescopes at least four out of five stars on those retail sites. We canvassed hundreds of customer reviews from retailers like Amazon, as well as Google Shopping.
1. Celestron – 70mm Travel Scope – Portable Refractor Telescope
Celestron – 70mm Travel Scope is designed with American innovation for beginner stargazers. The Celestron telescope for beginners is user-friendly and designed with several operating features that make it exceptional.
This is professionally engineered with a refractor telescope that is perfect for celestial or terrestrial viewing on the go. It is suitable and perfect for adults and kids to use together with its fully-coated, high-quality glass optics, including a refractor-style 70mm objective lens.
The aperture proves high-resolution viewing, without adding a lot of extra weight. 70mm lens allows light to enter, providing sharper, crisper viewing of celestial and terrestrial objects during the day or at night.
About the item:
- The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass superior optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all.
- Two Powerful and high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- A large 70mm objective lens provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- Package includes Bonus bag, tripod, and software. And accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
2. Telescope for Kids Beginners Adults
An astronomical Telescope for Kids Beginners Adults is the best gift to teach people to explore nature and life. It has a 360x70mm refractor telescope that can be a good observation of the moon and terrestrial objects. No-tools are used so quickly set up and easily find your objects.
Ideal for beginners to explore vast skies like moons, planets, fog, and clusters to enjoy Distant scenery, like mountains, flowers, birds, and wild animals.
About the item:
- The focal length and aperture of a telescope are 360mm and 70mm (360x70mm) respectively, fully coated optical glass with high transmission coatings creates crisp images with increased brightness and clarity.
- You can enjoy the magnification from 51X to 128X, And 5X24 Finder Scope can locate objects faster includes two 1.25″ eyepieces (K25mm & K10mm).
- No-tools used, quick set up, and easily find your objects.
- 70mm aperture telescope excels at daytime birding use as well as viewing wildlife, scenery, and casual nighttime observing of the Moon.
- The telescope comes with an adjustable tripod.
3. Telescope 70mm Aperture 500mm AZ Mount, Astronomical Refractor Telescope
Telescope 70mm Aperture 500mm AZ Mount, Astronomical Refractor Telescope is an awesome telescope for astronomers to explore stars and moon. It is a 500x70mm refractor telescope that can be a good observation of the moon and terrestrial objects. Best for kids or beginners. Featured with coated glass optical components, the scope provides clean, crisp views.
It’s excellent for daytime birding, scenic viewing, and nature study, and during nighttime, it will take you beyond the Earth’s horizon for stargazing and Moon-watching. Developed with the traveler in mind, this scope is a compact and portable design perfect for the on-the-go sky gazer.
About the item:
- 500mm(f/7.1) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings, provides stunning views and protect your eyes.
- High magnification power 15X – 150X. It comes with two replaceable eyepieces and one 3x Barlow lens. 5×24 finderscope with mounting bracket and cross-hair lines inside locate objects easily.
- An adjustable aluminum tripod and a carrying bag, which can be used in many different viewing positions. Wireless remote control phone to take pictures. To prevent shaking when taking pictures.
4. FREE SOLDIER Telescope for Kids&Astronomy Beginners
FREE SOLDIER Telescope for Kids&Astronomy Beginners is the entry-level telescope for kids is the best gift for Christmas, birthday, and new year, to cultivate a new interest for kids to expand the knowledge instead of watching TV and phone that harms to eyes. Maybe one day they will really fly up to travel the universe and be your pride.
About the item:
- High Magnification: 3X Barlow lens and two eyepieces, H20mm and H6mm, the magnification vary from 15X to 150X, also comes with a 5X24 finder scope for accurate locating.
- 70mm large superior aperture objective lens provides a brighter and clearer image. If the larger is the aperture, the more light comes in, the brighter and clearer the picture is. It also features a high resolution, fully multi-coated lens and owns excellent transmittance, which makes the object easier to get into the field of view.
- To store all the accessories of the telescope the portable travel telescope set included one carry bag, which is convenient to carry and is suitable for travel and outdoor activities.
- An adjustable tripod for adapting to different view positions. One smartphone adapter, and one wireless remote to capture and record every beautiful moment and share with your friends.
- Suitable for a day like birdwatching, viewing, environmental monitoring and in the night, Stargazing and Viewing, watching the moon and stars. Great gift idea, not only for kids but also for astronomy beginners adults.
- No tools needed so it is easy to install. Comes with complete paper (come with a telescope) & PDF version installation manual video installation guidelines are also available on the page.
Also read: Best Binoculars for Wildlife & Birding
5. Telescopes for Adults, 70mm Aperture 400mm AZ Mount
Telescopes for Adults, 70mm Aperture 400mm AZ Mount can be observed in no time with a quick and easy, as no-tool setup required. For smooth and accurate pointing Panhandle Alt-AZ control. The custom backpack fits your telescope and all its accessories comfortably.
It has smartphone Photography Accessories – Capture images and video through your Travel Telescope with the included smartphone adapter. Day-to-Night Performance – Use your Travel Telescope for celestial viewing at night or for observation of birds, nature, and wildlife during the day A portable telescope kit with everything you need to get started: 70mm refractor telescope with fully coated glass optics, full height tripod, travel backpack, etc.
About the item:
- It is Lightweight and portable, easy to set up and intuitive to use, gives sharp views, and requires practically no maintenance.
- Ultra-clear Refracting Telescope with 400 mm focal length and 70 mm aperture, fully coated optical glass lens with high transmission coatings creates crisp images helps increase the brightness of celestial objects.
- Two replaceable eyepieces which you can enjoy the Optimum magnification from 20X to 44X. The 5*24 finder scope with mounting bracket, erect-image diagonal make locating objects more easily, during the night it allows you to observe celestial objects at and during day time terrestrial targets like wildlife and landscapes.
- This adult telescope is of adjustable height and direction tripod for many different viewing positions, aluminum alloy tripod height can be adjusted from about 15.8 to 49.2 inches, the telescope and tripod can fit inside the carry bag for easy traveling and storage.
6. TELMU Telescope
TELMU Telescope is a 70mm compact and universal telescope with bright image quality and high magnification power. Very much suitable for beginners to explore the vast sky, like the moon, the planet, star clusters and fog, and so on. At the same time, you can watch endless landscapes, rivers, mountains, flowers and birds, animals.
About the item:
- High-Quality Optics with 400mm(f/5.7) focal length and 70mm aperture and fully coated optics glass lens create stunning images and protect your eyes.
- Two replaceable 1.25″ Kellner eyepieces(K6mm/67X, K25/16X) for high magnification. 5×24 finderscope with mounting bracket and cross-hair lines inside to locate objects easily.
- No tools are required so easy to set up and operate. It can be adjusted from about 17.7-inch to 35.4-inch. Allowed for many different observational positions and keep the whole tripod steady with the castor wheel.
7. OYS Telescope
OYS Telescope is a portable telescope kit with everything you need to get started. It has a 70mm refractor telescope with fully coated glass optics, a full height tripod, a travel backpack, etc. Day-to-Night Performance – at night use your Travel Telescope for celestial viewing or during the day for observation of birds, nature, and wildlife.
Smartphone Photography Accessories – Capture images and video through your Travel Telescope is included with a smartphone adapter. The custom backpack fits your telescope and all its accessories comfortably. Panhandle Alt-AZ control for smooth and accurate pointing. Observe in no time with a quick and easy, no-tool setup.
About the item:
- The astronomical telescope features a 400mm (f/5.7) focal length and a large 70mm aperture quality Optics, and fully multi-coated optical glass with high transmission, creating stunning images with increased brightness and clarity.
- Two 1.25″ telescope eyepieces (K20mm and K9mm) for 20X and 44X variable magnification. The 5×24 finder scope makes to locate the objects easily. And diagonal prism ensures you get the erect image, ideal for both celestial and terrestrial viewing.
- This telescope is quick and easy to set up and portable for travel. Comes with a 10mm phone adapter with an eyepiece for you to capture amazing images and share them with your family. The adjustable tripod can be packed up in a custom backpack.
8. Emarth Telescope, 70mm/360mm Astronomical Refractor Telescope
About the item:
- 360mm(f/5.1) focal length and 70mm aperture Premium Quality Optics. For increased brightness and clarity fully coated optical glass with high transmission, coatings to create stunning images with, protect your eyes, a perfect refracting telescope for beginners or kids to explore the sky.
- The interchangeable eyepieces with a 3x Barlow lens increase viewing power provide high Magnification. A 5×24 finderscope with a mounting bracket, erect-image diagonal, and two bigger focus eyepieces(K10mm:51X, K25mm:128X) make locating objects easy.
- No tools are required so this telescope is quick and easy to set up and comes with the manual.
- With an adjustable aluminum tripod, this telescope allows for many different viewing positions, and suitable for daily bird watching, wildlife watching during the day time, or moon watching, stargazing at night.
9. Celestron – PowerSeeker 127EQ Telescope
Celestron – PowerSeeker 127EQ Telescope is the user-friendly featured with Celestron’s PowerSeeker series of entry-level telescopes. The Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ is an easy-to-use and powerful telescope.
PowerSeeker Series Celestron telescopes have been designed with a combination of value, power, quality, and user-friendly features to enhance the experience for novice telescope users. This 127EQ telescope is suitable for families in search of a high-quality telescope that is affordable and provides years of enjoyment.
About the item:
- The Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ is an easy-to-use and powerful telescope and a Perfect entry-level telescope. The PowerSeeker series design gives the new telescope user the perfect combination of quality, value, features, and power.
- For smooth and accurate pointing it is featured with a German Equatorial Mount with a slow-motion altitude rod. Adjust rod to the desired position, then easily secure by tightening cross knob.
- This telescope is compact, lightweight, and portable and together can be used by adults and kids.
- Two eyepieces (20mm and 4mm), plus a 3x Barlow lens to triple the power of each, multiple accessories are included.
10. MaxUSee 70mm Refractor Telescope
MaxUSee 70mm Refractor Telescope comes with 4pcs interchangeable eyepieces as well as 3X Barlow lens and 1.5X Erecting eyepiece from 16X to 200X to enjoy a wide range of different magnifications, the 5×24 finder scope helps you to aim the objects faster and easier. It is a fun and portable telescope that’s sure to inspire the whole family’s natural inclination to explore.
About the item:
- It is the perfect First Telescope for kids & astronomy beginners and a portable telescope with a wide range of different magnification from 16X to 200X.
- For a brighter and clearer image, a 70mm Large aperture objective lens is used. A 5X24 finder scope can locate objects faster and earlier.
- 4pcs 1.25″ eyepieces H6mm, H12.5mm, H20mm, and K25mm. For High magnification (H6mm), for middle magnification (H12.5mm), and for low magnification but with sharper image (H20mm & K25mm) eyepieces give you variety for any viewing situation.
- Focal length 400mm refractor telescope comes with a durable Table-top tripod, includes the accessories 3X Barlow lens, Moon mirror, and 1.5X Erecting eyepiece.
- It is a travel telescope that is easy to carry & Quick to set up. Comes with a phone adapter that you can use a cell phone for the video camera and image capturer.
Finding a high-quality telescope on a budget can be hard, so when we kept hearing about the Astronomers Without Borders. In addition, a telescope can allow a more detailed view of the structure of a celestial source or infer that there are two sources, not just one. A telescope collects the faint light from astronomical sources and brings it to a focus, to sort the light according to the wavelength an instrument is used. Light is then directed to a detector, where a permanent record is made. The diameter of its aperture decides the light-gathering power of a telescope, or opening—that is, by the area of its largest or primary lens or mirror. Most large telescopes are reflectors; it is easier to manufacture and support large mirrors because the light does not have to pass through glass.