Are you curious if you’re going to pick the right rangefinder that isn’t going to use your money in the trash? Why are you giving your full effort and time to buy the right rangefinder for your needs? As you know, Rangefinders come in almost as many types. Rangefinders are also used for hunting purposes and birdwatching.
Buying a rangefinder is a worthwhile investment; however, there are several considerations to remember when you choose to choose the right rangefinder for you. These days, you don’t have to smash the bank to get the perfect rangefinder for you, since there are decent options at reasonable rates.
What is a Laser Range finder?
A laser rangefinder often referred to as a laser telemeter, is a rangefinder that uses a laser beam to measure the distance to an object. The most general type of laser rangefinder works at the time of flight theory by transmitting a laser pulse in a narrow beam to the source and measuring the time taken by the pulse to be reflected off the target and returned to the sender.
Due to the high speed of light, this method is not ideal for high-precision sub-millimeter measurements where triangulation and other methods are also used.
Suggested Read: All You Need To Know About Binoculars
What are the Technologies used in Laser Rangefinder?
Time of flight – Duration of flight tests the time taken for a light pulse to pass back and forth. The distance can be measured with the known speed of light and the correct estimation of the time taken. Many pulses are discharged sequentially and the average reaction is most widely used. This technique requires very precise sub-nanosecond timing circuits.
Multiple-frequency phase-shift calculates the phase shift of multiple-frequency reflections and then resolves several simultaneous equations to give a final measure.
Interferometry – It is the most precise and most useful method for calculating distance shifts rather than absolute distances.
A long range laser rangefinder is capable of measuring distance up to 20 km; mounted on a tripod with an angular mount. The resulting system also provides azimuth and elevation measurements.
Things to Consider before buying Laser Rangefinders
There’s a lot of attention on the “laser” feature of rangefinders, presumably because it sounds high tech. Market lasers are, in particular, limited for safety reasons.
Magnification allows you a clearer view of your goal, but it limits your total field of view. It amplifies any movement in your side, too. Big magnification will make it hard to remain on the goal. If stabilization is necessary, you might want to suggest a tripod in which case you need an LRF with an acceptable mounting point or an additional mount to suit it.
Laser rangefinder outer shell materials can give you an impression of longevity. Rubberized, textured, or contoured areas enhance grip and secure devices. Weatherproofing and waterproofing are clearly helpful. Manufacturers use different techniques, providing different levels of security. Unfortunately, there is no uniform norm, so it is important to research each of them to determine their strengths.
Rangefinder displays are either LCD or LED displays. Goal markers or grids are referred to as “reticle,” and are either black or red. There may be various reticle types to pick from. Black is thought to be clearer under natural light conditions. Red is best off in low light.
However, some users find that the red reticles can be either too rough or not hard enough, depending on the ambient light conditions. Adjustability is the remedy. Some rangefinders provide it as a manual option, some of them do it automatically.
One of the most valuable tricks modern technology has to deliver is scan mode. This is perfect for the general variety, whether it’s hunting or playing golf, so it doesn’t require you to select specific targets. It detects distances as you search a number of objects. Faster scanning means faster target acquisition and faster reading.
The surface color and texture of the target object are reflected light, and therefore range and precision. Bright, smooth artifacts have the most precise readings which are likely to be used by the maker when measuring the full range of their unit.
The best producers accept this and quote a number of ranges, based on the target category.
Suggested Read: Best Binoculars to Buy: Reviews and Buying Guide
What does a good laser rangefinder cost?
We’ve seen very low-cost laser rangefinders for as little as twenty bucks, but we can’t recommend anything in that price category because of worries about consistency and longevity.
Entry-level laser rangefinders start at about $80, but it’s worth paying a little more between $120 and $200—because better quality optics means more precision. There is a lot of variety at this range, with models between 500 and 700 yards.
Laser rangefinder with more durable design, greater reach, higher precision, and extras like angle correction, start to cost considerably more. At this stage, golf and hunting rangefinders have become distinct from one another.
Related: Buy Riflescope With Best Budget
What are the types of Rangefinder?
1. Optical rangefinders
Optical rangefinders of one kind or another have been used for over a hundred years. Early models-theodolites have been used for surveying. They were modified during World War I to judge distance and elevation for land-based and naval artillery. By World War II, coincidental rangefinders became common.
2. Ultrasonic rangefinders
Ultrasonic rangefinders project a sound wave, then calculate the time taken to get the wave back from the target. This is the same general concept as a laser. The problems are caused by extraneous noise. Wind, traffic, even the song of birds, will all influence readings. As we hardly play golf or hunt in a vacuum, this is a device that has never achieved a great deal of attention.
3. Laser rangefinders
Laser rangefinders (LRFs) first appeared on military tanks in the 1960s. They bounce a beam of light (visible or infrared) off an object, and time it back to measure the size. Provided that the speed of light is nearly 186,000 miles a second, the readings are almost instantaneous. The only possible downside is that heavy rain, or dust clouds, fills the air with debris that may scatter or consume the laser pulse, thus disturbing calculations.
Our Top Picks on Laser/Golf Range finder
1. AOFAR HX-700N Hunting Range Finder
Aofar focuses on the research and development of outdoor goods, particularly in the search and compass range, Aofar has first-class manufacturing technology and R&D experts. Nowadays, our goods are sold all over the world and are very popular. We are committed to enhancing the outdoor life of our customers through our rich knowledge and skills.
- Advanced pin sensor technology, 6x magnification, accuracy with ±1 yard.
- Measurement up to 700 yards. Use range or fog mode can give you an amazing experience for hunting even on bad weather days.
- For hunting and golf with four modes: Range, Scan, Fog, and Speed. You can easily identify the target with a continuous scan.
- Dimension is 110x 75 x 45 mm and weight is 180g. Waterproof and dust resistant with durable feeling. Perfect for carrying while golfing or hunting.
2. TIDEWE Hunting Rangefinder
TideWe rangefinder delivers 6x magnification and shows a straight line vertical distance, horizontal distance, and speed to your target. We also have a scanning feature that helps you to constantly scan all the variables that affect your play. Our rangefinder is a premium product with advanced technology that accurately ranges from 3 to 1000 yards. It provides fast measurements within +/- 1 yard. Measuring speed is <0.5s, and helps you make sure you don‘t miss your targets.
- The weight is only 0.35lb, which makes it compact and portable. Our rangefinder is perfect for hunting or shooting at targets. Specs (Dimensions) are 4.12” x 2.61” x 1.50”.
- Made from strong and durable materials to protect from drops while hunting or hiking! It’s also weather-resistant, so it’s capable of enduring the harshest hunting conditions.
- Equipped with a 750MAH rechargeable Li-ion battery, it can measure 20000 times after a full charge. It is built with a clear LCD display, which can help you get a clear image even in low light conditions.
- TideWe range finder features the popular RealTree Xtra camo pattern to help you stay completely hidden in the woods. We also provide a bag to save the rangefinder.
3. Wosports Hunting Range Finder
- Laser Range Finder for golf and hunting sports, with Distance Measure, Normally Scan Mode, Flag-Lock, Speed functions.
- Accurately ranges from 5 to 700 yards and 150 yards to a flag lock. if you used on M2 Mode, Flag pole locking up to 150 yards.
- Hold down the “Power/Start” button while ranging to activate the continuous measurement scan mode. The data on the LCD will change as your move.
- Rain and fog weather will affect the laser raypath, which may cause measurement error. when the weather is very adverse it may cause measurement mistakes.
4. Gogogo Sport Vpro Laser Golf/Hunting Rangefinder
- Golf/Hunting rangefinder comes with 3 Modes, Normally Scan Mode, this mode can be used to range measurement of all items within the scope of application(5-650 Yard). Golf Mode, this mode design for golf sports.
- This newest GS03 Golf Rangefinder equipped with the most advanced golf rangefinder technology. Pin-seeking and flag-lock tech let you know the exact distance to swing.
- Fast and accurate measurement with 1-yard accuracy, one-button meter, and yard switching, on button mode switching.
- Come with full packing: pouch, strap, clean cloth, operation manual.
- 6x Clear magnification makes it could be used for single-tube binoculars for kids. Great accuracy, multiple and interesting functions let this rangefinder more valuable than ever.
5. Vortex Optics Impact Laser Rangefinders
- The Impact 1000 features an intuitive platform with angle compensation; perfect for bowhunters and range-day lovers. Range targets down to five yards out, with the ability to stretch out to 1,000 yards if need be.
- The primary HCD mode displays an angle compensated distance that is ideal for the majority of hunters and shooters. An advanced LOS mode provides the option to calculate long distance, high angle shots with increased precision.
- A scan feature gives continuous range readings to pan across a landscape or tracks a moving target. All modes can be set to read in yards or meters.
- The diopter located on the eyepiece adjusts for differences in a user’s eyes. Added 6x magnification brings targets in for a closer look and more accurate ranging.
- Fully multi-coated optics enhance light transmission in low light settings. Waterproof and shockproof performance keeps you in the hunt no matter what the conditions.
6. BIJIA Hunting Rangefinder
- Laser range finder for hunting sports, archery, shooting, and golfing with distance measurer, continuous scan mode, golf pin flag-lock, slope correction, speed, and angle functions.
- Made of strong and durable materials so that you don’t need to worry about dropping it while camping or hunting.
- It also is built with an ultra-clear LCD display, which can help you get an ultra-clear image and accurate readings even in low light conditions.
- You will get 1x Rangefinder, 1x Strap, 1x Cleaning Cloth, 1x English Manual, 1x Carry Bag, 1x Color Box, 1x CR2 battery.
- Provides fast and accurate measurement with +/- 1 yard and +/- 45°accuracy.
7. Gogogo Sport 1200 Yards Laser Range Finder
- 3 Mode to Choice: Distance Measure & Normal Scan Mode, Golf Mode, and Speed Mode: Normal Scan Mode is for distance measurements when you hold down the power button, the data on the LCD screen will change as you move.
- The second Golf mode will show us the angle and slope-adjusted distance, real distance between golfer and flag.
- Range finder for hunting with clear optics, Sizes 106x 72 x 40 mm and weight 184g, perfect for carrying while hunting or Golf, durable body, Different from others with External 3.7V 900mah rechargeable lithium battery, this one uses Built-in rechargeable battery for the device.
- Designed for hunting and can measure both distance and speed. Provides distance data needed for accurate shots to avoid spooking your target. Give you an amazing experience of hunting.
- Package includes: Complete laser rangefinder hunting set, including 1x Rangefinder, 1x Carrying Pouch, 1x USB Cable, 1x Strap, 1x Cleaning cloth, and 1x Manual.
8. AILEMON 6X Laser Range Finder Rechargeable for Hunting
Throughout decades of optical science research and advancement, we have committed to supplying worldwide consumers with the most cost-effective outdoor sports goods of the highest caliber. Not only can we insist on improving our items time and again, but we also pay a lot of attention to supplying every customer with the best shopping experience. AILEMON, an authority on optical equipment.
The slope feature may have a distance that is automatically balanced. It helps you to specifically fire a golf ball that has been calibrated for horizontal targets at uphill or downhill targets. You may also use the angling knowledge to change your bow/rifle hunting.
- Elaborate camouflage pattern keeps you hidden in the forest. Integrated slope compensation mode allows you to accurately fire a rifle that has been calibrated for horizontal targets at uphill or downhill targets.
- The most cost-effective rangefinder you can find on the market to provide you everything you need for hunting, bowhunting, golf, and other professional application with reliable product quality and after-sales service.
- Provide high-precision distance measurement. Integrates latest functions such as continuous range readings, ARC (angled range compensation), Pin-Seeking, Vibration, and Speed Measuring.
- Measuring range from 5 to 1200 yards (depending on weather condition), with +/- 1m high accuracy and 6x magnification. The flagpole locking function supports a distance of up to 150 yards. Our rangefinder can meet most user’s needs.
9. Bozily Golf Rangefinder
Bodily Tech Co., Ltd is an integrated manufacturing and commercial company, a mix of manufacturing and distribution, occupying an area of more than 20,000 square meters, with a group of more than 50 research and development employees.
The range finders that we have developed are under strict test and development, based on safety and practicality as the heart. When designing this unit, we concentrate on its Realistic and Accuracy Aspect and finally finish this Excellent Golf Rangefinder.
- High-definition camera, 6X Magnification, 7-degree field angle, distance range 5-1000 yds, 200+yds to Flag. Class 1, 905nm laser type, 2 scan modes, General Golf/Slope / Vertical/ Speed, LCD digital display, high-speed and accurate reading, accuracy ±1yd, eligible for the golf tournament.
- General mode is designed for space actual distance; The second slope mode will show us the angle and slope-adjusted distance between golfer and flag; Our laser rangefinder adopts advanced distance, angle tech, accurate and fast, suitable for hunting, bird watching, shooting, engineering measurement.
- Dimension, 103x39x72mm, portable size, ergonomic design, and normally water-resistant. Unit of measure is meter and yard, a long press of the mode button 3 seconds can change over.
- Accurate out to 1000 yards. Digitally enhanced accuracy. Personally testing this device on my roof, I can see the buildings clearly beyond 1000 yds, but there is no data displayed.
- When it is 1000 or within 1000 yards, fast and clear data show up on the lens LCD. This one is excellent for golf play, hunting, engineering measurements, and outdoor activities if you need a 1000-yard laser rangefinder.
10. Bushnell Engage Hunting Laser Rangefinder
The Bushnell Engage 1300 Hunting Laser Rangefinder is equipped with a 50-percent wider fully multi-coated objective lens that effectively draws light to the eye for a clearer shot, rendering this rangefinder an important tool for dawn and dusk hunting. The sharp display has an exceptional light transmission to maximize output in all conditions, especially in low-light scenarios. The all-glass optical device features ultra-wide band coatings that include bright, true-to-life colors so that you can easily see your target.
- 2x brighter: 50% larger Objective lens paired with an all-glass optical system.
- Arc technology: angle range compensation (Arc) accounts for terrain angle.
- Package includes: Durable carrying case, Paracord, and lanyard tether.
Applications used in Laser Rangefinders:
Rangefinders offer an exact distance to objectives positioned outside the point-blank firing range for snipers and artillery. They may also be used for strategic reconnaissance and engineering purposes.
The more efficient versions of rangefinders measure distances of up to 25 km and are usually mounted either on a tripod or directly on a vehicle or gun platform. In this case, the rangefinder module is integrated with on-board thermal, night vision, and daytime observation equipment. The most advanced military rangefinders can be combined with your device.
2. 3-D modeling
Laser rangefinders are commonly used in 3-D object recognition, 3-D object simulation, and a broad range of computer vision-related areas. This technology is the basis of the so-called 3D time-of-flight scanners. In comparison to the military instruments mentioned above, laser rangefinders provide high-precision scanning capability with either single-sided or 360-degree scanning modes.
A variety of algorithms have been developed to combine data from different angles from a single object to generate complete 3-D models with as little error as possible. One of the benefits that laser rangefinders provide over other computer vision systems is that the computer does not need to correlate features from two images to assess the depth of detail as in stereoscopic methods.
Different laser rangefinders are used in the forestry industry. These systems are fitted with anti-leaf filters and operate with reflectors. The laser beam only bounces from this reflector and therefore ensures correct distance measurements. Laser rangefinders with anti-leaf filters are used for woodland inventories, for example.
Laser rangefinders can be used successfully in a variety of sports involving precise distance measurements, such as golf, hunting, and archery. However, not all features are 100% legal for golf tournament play. Many hunters in the eastern U.S. may not require a rangefinder, but many western hunters need one because of longer firing distances and more open areas.
5. Industrial production processes
The use of laser rangefinder technology during the automation of stock control systems and manufacturing processes in the steel industry is an important use.
6. Laser measuring tools
Laser rangefinders are also used as an alternative to a tape measure in a variety of industries, such as construction, restoration, and real estate. To measure a large object like a room with a tape measure, one will need another to keep the tape at the far wall and a direct line straight through the room to extend the tape.
With a laser measurement instrument, the job can be done by a single user with only a line of sight. While the tape measure is usually more precise, the laser measuring instruments can be calibrated to be generally effective when taking multiple measurements.
Laser measurement instruments usually provide the ability to make certain basic measurements, such as the area or volume of space, as well as the transition between imperial and metric units. These units can be found in hardware stores and online markets.
How does Laser Rangefinder work?
There are numerous methods that we use and take for granted that they work without giving much attention to how they work. Although this is great for most equipment, other tools, such as a laser rangefinder, would work easier if you understand how they work.
The fundamentals of the laser rangefinder are quite plain. The rangefinder sends out a laser beam first. The laser beam reaches the surface to which you aim the rangefinder and bounces back to the rangefinder. The receiver sensor senses the beam inside the system and the super-high-speed clock determines how long it took for the laser beam to reflect.
The laser beam is going at the speed of light. The program in the rangefinder would multiply the speed of the laser beam by the time it took to bounce off the surface in order to determine the distance to the target surface.
We hope you got a lot of information about rangefinders. As there are so many rangefinders you can find online. Also, If you are interested in checking the best binoculars for hunting, binoculars for wildlife/Bird watching, we’ve got you the best guide.
Find more Binoculars on your budget